In the later medieval period Brampton Hall appears to have been held by the Brome family, a John Brome of Brampton occurring in a quitclaim [The transfer of a title, right, or claim to another] of 1413 with the prior of Monk Bretton, John de Brome, of the parish of Wath, is recorded in 1465 and a third John Brome of Brampton in 1502 and 1503. Stephen Brome of Brampton, gentleman, is referred to in 1588. The earliest reference to the house itself is in 1609 when Henry Brome of Carlton [Counton], Nottinghamshire and his son Thomas Brome of Brampton sold the capital messuage [A dwelling house, with the adjacent buildings and enclosed area immediately surrounding the house or dwelling, and the adjoining lands appropriated to the use of the household] of Brampton Hall along with two cottages, meadow and common lands in Brampton and two beast gates on the in pasture of Wath-upon-Dearne, to Thomas Waynewright, of Lee Hall, Wath-upon-Dearne for Â£800. In 1613 Waynewright sold Brampton Hall, described as being in the separate occupation of Lawrence Hickes and Elizabeth Wildsmith, to John Ellis of Barnsley. The Ellis family held the hall for some years. Dr George Ellis [1627 â€“ 1712], nephew of Sir George Ellis, was one of Bramptonâ€™s most notable inhabitants, lived as the squire of Brampton Hall. George Ellis was well known as a local benefactor to charitable causes, he founded the Brampton Ellis School, which later became the Junior School and the Brampton Ellis Trust, which to this day owns 70% of the land in Brampton. In 1711, the year before his death, George Ellis devised to seven trustees at Brampton certain lands out of rents as follows; The will of George Ellis of Brampton (Yorkshire), gentleman; Estate at Brampton Bierly in parish of Wath in trust to pay; Â£20 p.a. To an afternoon lecturer at Wath Â£5 p.a. To vicar of Darfield if resident Â£6.13s. 4d. P.a. To school at Brampton, or Wath (as trustees choose) to teach 20 poorest boys and girls of the parish, with 20s. For books, 50s. For apprenticing, 10s. For coals and 1s. p. Week for bread; and 20s. For 1 poor widow to live in a room in the schoolhouse. Â£6.13s. 4d. To school at Barnsley, with 20s. , 50s. And 10s. As above, and 20s. To curate for catechising. Â£10 p.a. to charity school at Rotherham Should any above school fail, money to go to charity schools at Leeds, York or Hull, or to charitable uses trustees think fit. The Trust, which has now been running for nearly 300 years, still supports the aged, the schools, the church and the development of Brampton. George Ellis is buried in Wath-upon-Dearne Parish Church. The house was still known as Brampton Hall in 1930. In recent years, when owned by the Fitzwilliam Estates at Wentworth, and split into two properties, it was usually referred to as no.s 2 and 2a Manor Lane. In 1982 Brampton Hall was rebuilt and opened as a public house as it stands today as one of the finest traditional public houses in the area.